H1 stamping ( not renewal ) in Canada

simran31

Hii,

My husband is on H1 visa. He entered US on F1 visa n then in Aug 2008 he got his H1 visa. He hasnt travelled outisde US. Can he go to Canada for H1 stamping. I m not sure if its true but i have heard tht for the first stamping one needs to go to home country. n one can go to canada r Mexico only for renewal stamping. i would really appreciate if someone would be able to reply.

Thanks a lott

Hi,

All mentioned below is what I know of. Please corroborate from a lawyer.

What I think is that if you have a change of status while in US, then you need to goto home country for Visa Stamping. What that effectively means is that if you have a different visa than what you entered in US with, then yes you have to goto hoke country.

For example, I came on H4 (i.e. H4 visa is stamped on my passport) but then applied for H1B while in US. So, in order to get my visa stamped, I have to goto India and cannot get it done from any of the border posts.

Thanks,

M

Thank you for reply. My husband was enrolled in Master's . He has finished all his course work n has all the trancripts . However, he hasnt got the degree yet as is yet to defend his thesis which were part of his Masters. the reason was he dint get the results at tht time and got busy with job. But he is planning to speak to his prof n finish it.he has been working in US from last 4 yrs. Would tht be a problem or it is fine if he shows all the transcripts and all the necesssary documents. Thank you in advance.

Archived