Urgent Info required on Changing jobs with I140 approval and 3 years H1B extension

nidhi_nitya

Hello:

I work for Company A and I am in my 6th year of H1-B, it expires this November. But, my I-140 is approved and I already got my 3 years extension. I am planning on changing jobs to a Company B. Is it possible for me to do that? If yes, what is the I should do? Please help me with this issue, it is kind of an emergency...my company has no work for me anymore before they lay me off I would like to look for a new job and move...

Thanks in advance to your help.

Nidhi

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nidhi,

Did you get any response or talked to someone about this ?

I'm kind of sailing on the same boat.. I completed 6 years last sunday , my i-140 has been approved (couple of months back) and i got 3 years fo extensions. I spoke to few hr and i was told i can't transfer my H1-b for 6 months after I-140 approval. I don't know the validity of the above statement and not sure what would happen if something happens with the current employer..

Can somoene please advice...

Thanks,

Subu

If you have I140 approved, you can get 3 years extension after 6 years from any employer. Just make sure new employer requests the transfer for 3 years.

No need to stay with current employer for 6 months or anything. You can leave as soon as I140 is approved. Just make sure you have the original approval with you.

@nidhi_nitya

1. You can change job and transfer (get new H1) from Company B. And since you already have your extension, the new H1 from company B would reflect that 3 yrs extension... To be safer, you can include I-140 (approved) when applying for H1 by company B.. this would ensure 3 yrs extension.

Note: Since your H1 already for extending for 3 yrs... it is not expiring in November.

Archived