Greencard for my mom

Hi!

I am a naturalized US citizen. My 74 yrs old mom plans to visit us in 2012 summer using the 10yrs tourist visa.

In parallel, i want to start greencard for her. I am trying to understand the following:

1. do the senior parent get any priority

2. can i tart the process now. assuming that her greencard is still in process, can she still travel here next year

3. and then, since greencard will be in process, can she stay back till the greencard comes through w/o having to leave after six months (typical requirement of tourist visa)

4. and most importantly, we dont have her birth certificate. and also, in my birth certificate only my (late) dad is named. what is the best way to prepare complete documentation to meet GC requirements.

many thanks!

Jaideep

1. do the senior parent get any priority

NO.....

2. can i tart the process now. assuming that her greencard is still in process, can she still travel here next year

possibly.....

3. and then, since greencard will be in process, can she stay back till the greencard comes through w/o having to leave after six months (typical requirement of tourist visa)

no. If you have applied for her IV via CP she will need to go back.

4. and most importantly, we dont have her birth certificate. and also, in my birth certificate only my (late) dad is named. what is the best way to prepare complete documentation to meet GC requirements

A lawyer will be able to guide you about appropriate documentation.

The fool proof and easiest and best way is to file and by next year she will be able to come over as a PR. You have to make sure you are able to pay for medical Insurance for her for some time..existing conditions and all.......

Seniors or not doesn't matter.

If an I-130 is filed, she would risk a denial of entry with the visitor visa.

Also, filing an I-130 right after she enters will also result in trouble.

You may want to consult with an immigration lawyer about the process.

Archived