EB3 Porting to EB2, will it help EB3 priority dates?

Hi All,

There has been lot of eligible EB3 cases porting to EB2 in last few months. I wanted to understand if this porting would reduce the backlog in EB3, would EB3 priority dates move faster?, does USCIS inform Department of State about the porting and reduction EB3 pending I-485 approved on basis of EB2 as Department of State is the one who issue the visa bulletin.

I would appreciate if someone can give some input on the above, Murthy Attorney's please advise.

Interesting thought.

Yes, I believe it will make the line shorter for people in position 56,257 and 56,259.

Assuming there are 1000 people ahead of person X who is at position 56,259 in EB3 and out of these, 50 people upgrade to EB2.

Now these 50 people will get their GC in EB2 category and now there are only 56,209 people ahead of person X in EB3.

If that goes on every month, then the EB3 queue automatically reduces.

Belle, I think I am missing something, please let me know if I understand correctly.

I believe that EB3 and EB2 each get 2800 visa numbers each year, however EB2 gets more numbers from spillover so thats why the EB2 queue advances faster.

EB3 keeps getting only the minimum number which is 2800 because the spillover gets exhausted before it can reach EB3.

Going by the above logic and the previous example, if people change over from EB3 to EB2, then the queue for EB3 reduces automatically.

Why do you say in your example that "If you move from position 56,258 to 2,954 in the same line"?

"Why do you say in your example that "If you move from position 56,258 to 2,954 in the same line"?"

Because realisatically speaking, if you are in the end of the EB3 line, your only hope is that EB2 line clears up, and there will be some spill over from EB2 to EB3. It will take some time, but not like EB3s don't have it. The person in front of you is still the person in front of you, regardless of their position number.

There are4 times as many people in the EB3 queue as EB2.

Current Estimate of EB2 queue until 2011 is about 90,000.

Current size of EB3 queue (estimated is about 3,60,000 for the whole world.

EB3 will never be current anytime soon.

With the porting happening EB2 will take at least 10 years to get current, if ever

Originally posted by Armageddon:

Belle, I think I am missing something, please let me know if I understand correctly.

I believe that EB3 and EB2 each get 2800 visa numbers each year, however EB2 gets more numbers from spillover so thats why the EB2 queue advances faster.

EB3 keeps getting only the minimum number which is 2800 because the spillover gets exhausted before it can reach EB3.

Going by the above logic and the previous example, if people change over from EB3 to EB2, then the queue for EB3 reduces automatically.

Why do you say in your example that "If you move from position 56,258 to 2,954 in the same line"?

• 1 month later...

Porting will not help EB-3 to move faster only one thing can move faster EB -3 is immigration overhaul. EB-3 stuck in middle. Unused visa flow from EB1--->EB2 and from EB4---->EB5----->EB1----->EB2------------------------------>EB3. So you see that big line between EB2 & EB1 that is why you will not see any movement for EB3.

Archived