Petty theft case -Please help !!

Hi,

I got a theft-obtain/Exert unauthorized control with intent to permanently deprive ticket today. It was for $117 but it isn't mentioned on the ticket.

No finger prints/pictures taken and no arrest warrant is given by the cop.

I am given a court date and I have to appear in a month. I was told that I will be asked to pay some fine and I should be fine.

I work full time with a fortune 500 company and I have my green card process started with my employer. My current h1b visa it active till 2024 August

I am worried if I should plead guilty in court.

Is their any possibility of getting this of my name.?

Would an criminal lawyer help

Edited by aaker_ram

Do not plead guilty. It will haunt you for rest of your life in US. Please consult an attorney and try and get it dismissed. Attorney will help to bargain with prosecutor and may lessen the charge

Don't worry about visa or green card. Even if you plead guilty, you are likely to qualify for petty offense exception,  however you will now be required to mention it on every immigration form

I suggest consult a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible, every penny you pay is worth given future issues you may face if you choose to plead guilty