All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
man_1975

Naturalization Eligibility - Continuous residency

Hello Expert,

I have questions about Continues Residency requirement. 

I came to the USA in April 2019 with a family-based green card. I went to India in Sep 2020 for 5.5 months and back to the USA in March 2021.
Now I plan to go to India in mid of Feb 2022 and come back in Aug 2022 ( about 5.5 months).
I also plan to go to India in Dec 2022 and come back to the USA in May 2022 ( about 5.5 months).
So far, I don't have any other plan to go to India until I am eligible for filing citizenship and receive citizenship.

Continues Residency requirement says that we should not travel more than six months ( 180 days ) outside the USA.

Do you see any issue with two-time travel from the USA to India in 2022 ( each trip is about 5.5 months)?
My stay in the USA for 2022 would be cumulative for about 5.5 months. Is there any problem with the continuous residency requirement perspective?

Regards

The required stay is not about the calendar year. The duration matters, not if it is in calendar year x or y.

Stays abroad for less than 6 months generally don't break the continuous residency requirements, but the stays abroad have to be temporary in nature. You have to maintain your home in the US.

Thank you, JoeF, for your reply. All my trips are temporary in nature, and I have a permanent address in the USA for the entire five years of period.

My question is, between my two trips, Feb2022 - Aug-2022 and Dec2022-May2023, there is only a four-month period I would stay in the USA. I will stay less than six months between these two trips in the USA. Does it trigger any problem for the continuous residency requirement perspective?