Jump to content
All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

US Citizen planning for extended stay overseas

Recommended Posts


Due to family emergency, I will need to travel to India and stay there for an extended period of time - around 6 months or longer. Is there anything that needs to be done officially with US govt besides filing taxes? Is there any need to seek exemption from activities like jury duty when I'm away? Or any other considerations?

Gurus, please advise.



Share this post

Link to post

Either have somebody who is able to open your mail, or get it forwarded to you.

Usually, for jury duty there are checkboxes on the summons if you are not able to report to the court.

Other than that, and paying taxes, there isn't anything to consider.

Share this post

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now