Possible to return to US on F-2 if F-1 is under 221G

My wife has been in US on F-2. We went back to India for her to get F-1 visa stamped so she can start her grad school this Fall semester. 

The visa officer in Delhi embassy approved the visa but we got a DS5535 form next day and the status says 'Refused'. They also notified us to collect the passport. The passport was returned with a yellow slip saying it is under 221g administrative processing and they will request for passport after they complete their background check.

We have been exploring options and wanted to get opinion what to do and had some questions.

1. Is my wife's F-2 visa still valid? Can she still enter the US on F-2 status?

2. If my wife enters US on F-2, will the F-1 application be abandoned?

3. The degree program has offered online coursework for this semester but it looks like she can do that only from outside US. If she enters US on F-2 and does online classes, will that will be violation of status? We will talk to the school if she can do this semester's courses as part time student or not. Can the credits earned as part-time be transferred to get a full-time degree later on?

Would appreciate any other advice. I am on F-1 and we have a US citizen kid as well so no issues with NIE and travel ban.