What would happen if my priority date is current and I don't apply I-485 for 1-2 years

Current Situation: I have I140 approved from my current employer and priority Date India in EB2 is 3/7/2016. I see EB3 dates are moving faster than EB2 and speculation is that it may appear in the Date of Filing in the next few months and the Final Action Date in 2022. I am changing employer now.

1. If my new employer starts PERM processing immediately within 2 weeks after H1b approval from now and let suppose it takes 9-12 months for approval, In the meantime if 2016 priority date appears in the Final Action Date in EB3(not expecting in EB2) in the next few months, let suppose by January 2022, Will I miss the opportunity of using current date because of delay or Can I still wait till PERM + I140 EB3 + I485 applied? Just wanted to check what would happen if my priority date is current in any of EB preferences and I don't apply I-485 for 1-2 years in worst case?

2. Hypothetical case - My current I140 is in EB2, in case if EB3 for 2016 is current next year and by the time I complete PERM + I140 let suppose if EB3 dates moved till 2018, I can still apply I140 EB3 and use Priority date to apply I485?