Passport re-issued after H1B I-797 Approval

Hi, my H1B was extended in Mar 2021 and the I-797 approval is valid until Oct 2023. Previous H1B is going to expire July 2021.

The passport information which I provided during H1B extension was my current passport at that time, which expires Nov 2021.

I applied for a passport re-issue after I received the I-797 approval and got the new passport valid until 2031.

I am currently in USA. When I go to India next time (probably in Sept this year), I plan to get the H1B visa stamp using dropbox.

My question here is, which passport number and information should I enter when applying for the dropbox appointment and on DS-160? Will there be any issues during stamping if I provide the new passport number, when in reality the I-797 approval was done with only the old passport information?
Will the stamp appear in my old or new passport?

Thank you!

You must provide your current unexpired passport details for all purposes going forward. It does not matter what passport was used for your H1B extension....your H1B remains valid regardless of change in passport. New visa stamp will, of course be provided in new passport as old passport is no longer valid.

***Do not throw away your old cancelled passport as you maybe asked details about it at your visa interview and maybe even years later during GC application etc

Edited by rksingh
Extra clarification added