All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rakesh Nair

Clarity on 1 year rule

Dear All,

As per my understanding, I thought a person can always request for a 1 YR H1B extension, with an approved I-140 even after the

Priority date is current. I read somewhere that as per new rule a person can only request 1 YR H1B extension only "within"

1 year time frame after the Priority date is current as per visa bulletin. After the one year time frame the person cannot request for H1B extension even with approved I-140. I have an approved I140 (approved for more than 180 days) with an old employer but could never use it for filing 485...

Please help provide some clarity.

Thank you,

Rakesh 

On 6/13/2021 at 11:49 AM, Rakesh Nair said:

Dear All,

As per my understanding, I thought a person can always request for a 1 YR H1B extension, with an approved I-140 even after the

Priority date is current. I read somewhere that as per new rule a person can only request 1 YR H1B extension only "within"

1 year time frame after the Priority date is current as per visa bulletin. After the one year time frame the person cannot request for H1B extension even with approved I-140. I have an approved I140 (approved for more than 180 days) with an old employer but could never use it for filing 485...

Please help provide some clarity.

Thank you,

Rakesh 

I am in the same situation where my PD will be current in next VB and trying to change employer. I have not yet filed I-485.

To the best of my knowledge one can get unlimited 1yr H1B extensions/change of employer time until AOS is adjudicated. This is when PD is current and I-485 is not filed. Also people maintain H1B status when on I-485 and leave employer on H1B before I-485 is adjudicated.

Also I don’t know if recapture time during original H1B can be used. Attorney can confirm on these points.

Edited by aasandsas