B1/B2 Visa extenstion via dropbox v/s GC appln

Hi,

I am applying for my father's B1/B2 Visa renewal and he qualifies for dropbox. Currently there are no Interview Waiver appointment available in Mumbai. Please let me know if based on the current travel ban scenario, whether I should just focus on applying for his GC. 

- What is the current ETA for a Family based GC for parents?

- If I apply for GC can he still go ahead with the Visa renewal process (if that's faster overall) and travel to the US if the ban is lifted?

- Will the GC application impact his B1/B2 renewal request or vice versa?

Thanks

Priti

There are many in this situation.  You can always apply for B1/B2, but there is a question in the application whether the applicant has I-130 filed on his behalf.  You have to say yes if you have submitted an I-130 application.  The consulate may not issue the visa and instead ask you to wait for the GC interview.  However if there is a pressing need for his visit, he may state that and ensure that he will come back.

There are some who have been waiting for 2 years for green card under the parents quota.  Due to the pandemic everything has slowed down.  Better to apply for B1/B2 first then file for green card shortly after.   However he cannot visit US due to the ban even if the B1 visa is issued.