Travel during Citizenship Application Process

Hello,

I have some general questions on travel while I'm going through my citizenship process. Note that my GC is valid for a few more months.

1. Can I travel after the interview, before the Oath ceremony on my GC? Is there any travel freeze during this time? 

On that note, can I request to expedite the Oath ceremony during the interview?

2.  I'm assuming that I will need a passport to travel following the Oath ceremony. Is there a way to expedite passport processing based on upcoming travel needs?

I would appreciate it if gurus on this site can offer some insight.

Thanks.

Edited by guest33

You are an LPR until the math, so you can travel just fine. You have to disclose that travel at the oath ceremony, and they check that you still continue to fulfill the residency and physical presence requirements.

You can expedite the US passport application, for an additional fee.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Here is an update on my status. I attended my interview and got an Oath Ceremony appointment, which I missed due to travel. I'm currently attending to my sick dad. I informed the officer during the interview about my travel, followed instructions on the N-445 notice to reschedule the ceremony prior to the actual date (returned N-445 with letter). However, no action was taken by USCIS prior to the appointment.

Following the Oath Ceremony date, I saw my status updated online, as follows:

"On #####, we sent you a notice for Receipt Number XXXXX, confirming that you did not attend your scheduled oath ceremony. The notice we mailed you outlined the steps you must take to reschedule your oath ceremony. Please follow the instructions in the notice."

I'm yet to see this notice.

Does anybody have any idea as to what the next steps are to reschedule the ceremony if you missed the original date? I will need this information so that I can book my return flight accordingly.

JoeF or other experienced folks, it would be great if you could offer some insight on this.

Thank you.

On 2/3/2021 at 7:25 PM, JoeF said:

You are an LPR until the math, so you can travel just fine. You have to disclose that travel at the oath ceremony, and they check that you still continue to fulfill the residency and physical presence requirements.

You can expedite the US passport application, for an additional fee.