Divorce in US

VenkyPS

Hello friends

Appreciate your thoughts on my personal situation. I’ve been contacting family lawyer but it will be helpful if someone/your friends in similar situation and share real experiences. We have been married in India and stayed in US 10 years on H1B/H4 and have 8 years old daughter, a US citizen. Based on wife’s mental disorder history I’m planning for divorce, while wife travelled to India 6 months back and still in India. Is it suggested to take divorce in US or plan for divorce in India? Which is appropriate in my situation? Throughout my married life, there is lot of abuse and false allegations and threatened to put false criminal cases about me and my family back in India. Please share your thoughts! Thank you!

Since you say your wife is not in US, you can not get a mutually agreed divorce I assume. That is the only way a divorce obtained in US court  can not be challenged in India. If you get divorced without her being present in USA, Which you can get and judge in US will likely grant you divorce in uSA but it can be challenged in India and you will still have to take care of that front. unless you are now US citizen then it may not matter. 

Like someone said above keep interest of child in mind. I am not saying do not get divorced , just make sure you think through what will happen to her, who gets custody etc etc

I am not an attorney just sharing from personal experience

Thanks

Nitin

On 1/29/2021 at 10:17 AM, 7282 said:

Since you say your wife is not in US, you can not get a mutually agreed divorce I assume. That is the only way a divorce obtained in US court  can not be challenged in India. If you get divorced without her being present in USA, Which you can get and judge in US will likely grant you divorce in uSA but it can be challenged in India and you will still have to take care of that front. unless you are now US citizen then it may not matter. 

Like someone said above keep interest of child in mind. I am not saying do not get divorced , just make sure you think through what will happen to her, who gets custody etc etc

I am not an attorney just sharing from personal experience

Thanks

Nitin

Thank you! Nitin for your suggestions!

• 3 months later...

There is no need to be afraid to share your name or answer questions on the phone.

Most lawyers will not pursue the conversation if you do not include your name, to prevent you and all of his or her other customers (including possibly your partner, who may already have called the same lawyer) from future disputes of interest. Get to know about divorce lawyers in Grand Prairie, TX.

Contact us online or call at 877-359-7077.

Edited by nickjackson

Few people wish to speak with a Family law attorney about their divorce. Most people have no idea what to anticipate during their first meeting and discussion when faced with the prospect of divorce and the possible need for a divorce attorney.

To this question, each attorney you meet with should have a bit distinct response. In terms of documents, the divorce proceedings are the same, but the lawyer's strategy would be different. This open-ended question will reveal some of the tactics they may use to take you to the desired destination.

Inquire more about how you'll be able to monitor the progress of your case with  thetexasattorney