New H1B Stamping

Hi

My visa got approved to H1B from F1 on 1st October 2020. However, I need to get the new H1B stamped in India for the first time once the ban is taken off. I have a few queries on the same.

1. Any idea on when H1B stamping may resume for general population or people with change of status approved ?

2. When the stamping resumes, any idea on the proposed wait time to get a visa interview appointment date ? I know this will be tough to predict but inc ase someone has any idea, it will be good to know.

3. Can I work from India while waiting for my visa to get stamped ? Is there any specific time limit on working from India before any irregularity with visa requirements come into effect ?

4. Can I get H1B stamped in Mexico / Canada for the first time ? Will I need a specific visa to  go to Canada / Mexico for H1B visa stamping ?

Thanks

Edited by CaptainSpark

For your first question, there's no definite answer as its dependent on many factors other than just Embassy being fully functional.

Same with first, its touch to guess.

3rd, as long as your employer is legally allowed to pay you while you're out of the country you can continue to work.

4th, yes, check their visitor visa requirements for each country.

I'm in pretty much the same boat. Trying to get an emergency appointment to go visit home, get a visa stamp, and come back to the US. I got an appointment for March 2nd but it will likely be cancelled, and I can probably only use it to request an emergency appointment.

1. I don't think anybody knows tbh. 

2. For India, it will probably be a long wait because there'll be a backlog given the sheer number of applicants. Again, no one can give specifics on how long.

3. I believe, on an H-1B, there's a six week limit for working outside the country. Tax laws and such.

4. Mexico doesn't require a visa to enter for Indian nationals (even in H-1B status without a visa stamp - you can use your approval notice), but they also don't stamp first time H-1Bs for third-country nationals. Canada on the other hand does stamp first-time COS H-1Bs, but requires a tourist visa for Indian nationals regardless of whether they have a valid US visa.

• 4 weeks later...

4. Mexican Visa is not required as long as you have valid US Visa though you're an Indian national/passport holder but US Consulates/Embassy in Mexico is not accepting third country nationals change of status, have to go for extension in same category of visa class. Canada is an option to go for change of status but need Canadian Visitor Visa to go to Canada for attending US Visa in any Consulates/Embassy located in Canada.