Unable to return from India - Risk to Green Card?

theAspirant7

Hello everyone,
Sorry if there is another post on the same topic.
I wanted to reach out to ask about the legalities regarding re-entering the US on a Green Card. My wife was in IND between the months of Jan and Feb of this year. She returned to the US in Feb end (2020) and had to fly back to IND owing to a family complication on June 25th. 

She was planning to return on December 20th originally but may be needed to stay back further owing to family and health issues. Given the amount of time she has been out of the US and that she's required to be in the US for 6 months at a stretch to maintain her Green Card, I wanted to ask if you guys think she's likely to run into any problems during re-entry if she flies back in March 2021.

I called the US Embassy in New Delhi and they said she should not have problems within 364 days, but a few friends have warned me of possible risk at the airport during re-entry.
Is there any kind of documentation she can fill out to get a one-time exemption? 

Thanks for your time.
Thanks,
Vikram.
  • 2 weeks later...