Stuck In India With EAD/AP Expiring Soon

Hi,

I have a pending I-485 application with a Priority Date of Jan 2010 filed under EB2 category. My EAD/AP is due for renewal on March 11, 2021. I plan to travel to India in December and return in January on my EAD/AP status and apply for the renewal upon return to US.

I have confirmed with my employer's attorney that the above travel plan is safe to execute because an automatic extension for 180 days gets applied if my EAD doesn't get renewed before it expires. So this automatic extension would allow me to continue working for my employer while my EAD/AP has expired and the renewal is pending.

The concern I have is, what would happen if I am stuck in India while any travel restriction is in place in January due to the pandemic. Can I apply the for the EAD/AP renewal in the US consulate while I am in India? Though it is complete speculation, I would like to know what are my options if that situation arises. Can anyone please help? Thanks!