Jump to content
All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  

Visitor parent overstay issues

Recommended Posts

Hi all, 

I am asking question just to get some information to help my neighbor(if I can)

There is Indian lady (upper 60's age) who came to visit her daughter/son here in US 6+ yrs ago. and she overstayed her visa may be by years now, and also her Indian passport expired. She is literally living in her daughters house like a house worker. Now with the covid situation everything getting worse. She says she just want to go back india. But her kids are not helping with her passport renewal or any other immigration related. Is there a way she can just book a ticket and go back? I am trying to get some sense what are her options in this case.

Share this post

Link to post

I believe that in this case the Indian consulate will issue her an "Emergency Certificate", which is a passport-like document that is valid for return to India.

If her child is a US citizen, she could just apply for a green card and stay in the US (though it would need the child's help).

Share this post

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this