Is it legal to apply for second visa stay extension for parents when the first one is still pending?

Sandy1210

Hello, any of you guys got biometric appointment scheduled?

I am seeing this message "You must print and bring a hard copy of your appointment notice to your biometric appointment. Biometric collection cannot proceed without a hard copy of your notice." in my documents tab. But I don't see any Biometric appointment letter. 

I am not sure this is a common message.

Thank you

14 hours ago, Sandy1210 said:

Hello, any of you guys got biometric appointment scheduled?

I am seeing this message "You must print and bring a hard copy of your appointment notice to your biometric appointment. Biometric collection cannot proceed without a hard copy of your notice." in my documents tab. But I don't see any Biometric appointment letter. 

I am not sure this is a common message.

Thank you

I saw the same message when I logged in, but there was a biometrics appointment letter for me to download and print. Perhaps there is a lag between when the notice is updated and when USCIS uploads the document. My suggestion is to call USCIS after 24 hours if you still don't see the letter. 

Also FYI: USCIS told me there would be a letter in the mail. I was able to see the letter online on 9/8/20 for an appointment on 9/24/20. As of 10/13/20, I have still not received this letter in the mail. 

• 2 weeks later...

My parents filed extension online as they cant travel back home during Apr,  received biometrics appointment  after many months of extension apply in Nov, but my parents left on Oct 23, I have updated their departure info at my uscis where I applied extension online. 

What happens to their extension request now ?

Any issues while coming back in future ?

• 1 month later...

@Sandy1210,

I saw your post that you have applied 2nd visa extension for your parents .Can you please let me know whether did you provide the pending uscis receipt number on the I-539 form for the applicant ? Also there is no place for filling pending uscis case number for the co-applicant on i-539A form , how did you specify it for the co-applicant ? 

Did you receive the receipt number for the 2nd extension ? I am also sailing in the same boat ,my parents visitor visa first extension is still pending and going to end in Jan 2021. Any pointers on how to apply 2nd visa extension will be very helpful .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Can some one help me understand why there is a reference on the USCIS website of the applicant can stay for 240days from i94 expiry date  if the decision is still pending.

Should  that not  mean If the result is pending then any required action (Either providing additional letters or applying another extension) would need to be taken close to 240days from the i94 expiry date.

Edited by AjJm
  • 2 weeks later...

I submitted the extension request for my mother last June 22 to have her stay extended from Aug to Feb (additional 6 months). I have not received any update. Feb is coming up soon and would like to submit a second extension request due to fear of travel still. (She's 72). Has anyone received any response from USCIS?

• 2 weeks later...

I am almost on the same boat but with slightly worse situation. 

·        Late Dec 2019 - Both my parents arrived in US on B2 visa.

·        Late June 2020 - Their I94 expires. 

·        Early June 2020 - First I539 application applied to extend their stay by 6 months (upto Dec 2020).

·        Late Sep 2020 - USCIS requested them for biometrics appointment. (letter arrived very late in mail).

·        Mid Oct 2020 - Called USCIS and explained that the letter arrived late. Reschedule requested. 

·        Mid Dec 2020 - Their return flights to India got cancelled due to new strain discovered in UK.

·        Late Dec 2020 - their original request for 6 month extension ends.

·        Mid Jan 2021 - Currently exploring options.

·        Mid Feb 2021 - 240 days end from their i94 expiry date.

Given the recent COVID surge and the fact that they are both high risk, I dont want to take the undue risk of sending them to india right now. Their presence in the country is now 13 months and counting. 

1. Should i apply for a second I539 extension? eventhough the first one is still pending? (do i need to get a medical note for my parents)
2. Since they did not make the biometrics appointment on time, is there a possibility that USCIS had abandoned their petition (thinking that my parents may have already gone home) and that is the reason that they did not respond anything? does this mean, that i need to send my parents home at the earliest availability risking their health and safety? Please note that I had applied to reschedule th biometrics appt. 
3. Would USCIS consider these extenuating circumstances and allow my parents to leave at their own time? i am also worried about their future visits. 

• 4 months later...

@Fire2024 I saw your post that you have applied first extension only for 4 months. Did you apply for a second extension? Or did you request them to extend on the first application itself for the remaining 2 months? I am on the similar boat. I have applied visa extension for my parents until May 30 2021 while their additional 6 months end on July 8. Should I apply for a second extension with the 1st one in process? If yes, do you know what I should enter in the I94 date? Appreciate any information you provide. 

@NAD I see that you spoke with a T2 officer. I was unable to reach any of them except an automated assistant who keeps answering in circles. Can you give me some info on which number you reached out to ?

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have an update on their second application? Please see below my issue

1. My grandma entered the US with a B1 Visa in late January 2021

2. We applied for a 6month I-539 extension in April 2021 until mid January 2022. It's still pending and I haven't heard back from anyone yet.

3. We would like to keep her in the US until mid of June 2022 before she'll return to Europe due to Covid etc.  Today is November 15th, I have exactly 60days before She would have to leave the country (if the i-539 request gets approved. That was the exit date I asked for). What do you suggest me doing to be on the safe side?

Many thanks for your help.!!

Grannysfavorite