Max limit living outside USA on US payroll on H1B

mohitas

If you are outside the US you are by definition not on H1 nor any other status. You only have a status while in the US.

You can work for a US employer from your home country (or other countries where you have a work permit), but you probably have to pay taxes in the country you are in.

14 hours ago, pontevecchio said:

Why would the H1 come into the picture? You can work forever in your home country for a US Company and a US salary.

Outside the USA, You have no status vis a vis the USA.

My employer wants me to go on leave without pay if I continue living outside USA beyond 183 days stating there is tax liability both on my end and the company and that they have initiated PERM process for me.

15 hours ago, JoeF said:

If you are outside the US you are by definition not on H1 nor any other status. You only have a status while in the US.

You can work for a US employer from your home country (or other countries where you have a work permit), but you probably have to pay taxes in the country you are in.

Thanks Joef. I have been paying US taxes for the 5 months I was outside USA. If for any reason I do not come back to US within 183 days, will there be a problem when I am filing my taxes next year ? 

2 hours ago, mohitas said:

Thanks Joef. I have been paying US taxes for the 5 months I was outside USA. If for any reason I do not come back to US within 183 days, will there be a problem when I am filing my taxes next year ? 

You should ask a tax professional, a CPA who is knowledgeable about international tax issues.