Lost job on H1B and planning to move to B2

My husband lost his job and is planning to change his status from H1B to either B2/ H4 this week as his grace period will end on June 30th. 

I am currently working at X company and they filed for my H1B extension but I got RFE this week and also my last day of work at this company is June 26th as I accepted another job offer from Y company and going to start on June 29th but I did not get the receipt notice yet for this H1B transfer (Application is at Vermont Center).   

I am thinking about below two options for a change of his status, can you please let me know which one we should go with to extend his stay beyond the 60 days grace period.

1. Should we apply online for H1B- B2 visa currently and then apply for H4 later once we get the receipt notice from Y company.
2. Should we apply online for H1- H4 with the current employer X company's receipt notice. But when I stop working for this X company from June 27th will his H4 application get affected? 

Please let me know what we should be doing in this case. 

Thank you.

Regards,
Priyanka