Jump to content
All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  

Eligible if away from US for less than a year?

Recommended Posts

My husband is a US Citizen completing his PhD. I got my GC in July 2017 through our marriage. He had to spend an academic year abroad for his program, and I went with him (a. as he is my husband and we wished to stay together, b. he was studying in my home country, c. we were expecting our first child, d. I was not attached to my job and not on a career path). We left the US between May 2018 and May 2019. We came back a few days before the year mark. We kept our names on the lease of our apartment during this period of time, along with the people subletting from us. Am I eligible for citizenship this coming July, at the three years mark?

Thank you :)

I posted this in the "Topic of the Week" also, but it's an older topic, so I posted here too.

Share this post

Link to post

I suggest you discuss the matter with a lawyer. Ordinarily, It would be 3 years with no absence for more than 6 months. It may be 2022 now.

Share this post

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this