Travel Back to US with Renewed Green Card

Hi Friends,  My wife& Kid went India on Jan 10 and Struck in INDIA Due to COVID 19. My wife on Green Card. Her Green card Expiring by June 30 2020. But we receive Renewed Green Card. Is it Necessary to send Renewed GREEN Card To INDIA OR   they can show the Photo Copy of Renewed Green Card and able to Come Back safely.. Iam little scary to send Renewed Green Card to INDIA in this COVID 19 Situation.  Please advise me the Best Possible  Solutions. Thank you for Cooperation.

If they return before June 30, they can use their existing green cards. But airlines will not board them with an expired green card or a photocopy of a green card. So if they return after June 30, either their green cards need to be mailed to them, or they would have to file I-131A with the US consulate for a transportation letter, which costs $575 each.

Hello!

Unless someone is traveling and can handover the physical green card to your spouse, it may not be advisable to send the card through courier. However, it may still be possible for her to travel with an expired Green Card under certain circumstances. We would suggest that you check the USCIS official page for more information. If you need our assistance, you can reach us at info@murthyindia.com

Oh yeah, if your wife has an expired 10-year green card, the US government technically allows airlines to board her without needing a transportation letter. See the CBP carrier information guide, page 28: "Cards with expired I-551s may be boarded without penalty if the card was issued with a 10-year expiration date."

However, the airline might still refuse to let her board, and if so, she will have to file I-131A for a transportation letter. See the I-131A page, under Special Instructions:

If you have an expired Green Card, you may not need to file Form I-131A. Although regulations generally require an LPR to travel with a valid Green Card, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) policy permits a transportation carrier bound for the United States to allow you to board without carrier documentation if you:

• Are an LPR with an expired Green Card that was issued with a 10-year expiration date (and you have been outside of the U.S. for less than a year);

[...]

Check with your airline or transportation carrier before you file Form I-131A because, in some situations, they may still refuse to let you board even if you are in one of the categories above. In that case, you will need to file a Form I-131A.