Applying H4 when H1 extension is pending

My H1B is valid till mid-September 2020 and I’ve applied for the H1B extension alone (without H4 for my son and wife). My wife is currently in India for Medical emergency and initially thought of dropping my son once the school is over and get a stamping for H4 once my petition is approved.

With the current Covid-19 situation travel restrictions, my son is still with me in USA and can’t travel to India and the consulates in India are closed and I don’t know when I can get an appointment for stamping, I’ve requested my employer to file a separate H4 extension for my son.

I heard that the best option is to wait and see if USCIS approves my H-1B prior to mid-September. If it does, then using that approval notice,  Can I can file for an extension for my son.

If it gets close to the beginning of September 2020 and I don’t have an approval for my H1B, then we really don’t have a choice and have to file an extension petition for my son, asking that his request be connected to my still pending petition. Will this be a problem since the government has a very hard time connecting the two different petition files?

Thanks in advance