Travel to U.S with passport expiring less than 6 months

aak1

Need some help.

We came to India in February and couldn't travel back to U.S due to lockdown and not planning to travel back in June/July. We have U.S Visa till August 20201 but the challenge is with the passports of my kid and wife.

1. My 5 Year old kid has U.S Passport and his passport is expiring in September .Can he be able to travel back to U.S with his passport expiring in less than 6 months?

2. My wife with Indian passport has her passport expiring in November .Can she be able to travel back to U.S with her passport expiring in less than 6 months from date of travel? Renewing her passport looks challenging with we being in red zone and travel not permitted .

Thanks in advance.

On 5/14/2020 at 12:33 AM, aak1 said:

Need some help.

We came to India in February and couldn't travel back to U.S due to lockdown and not planning to travel back in June/July. We have U.S Visa till August 20201 but the challenge is with the passports of my kid and wife.

1. My 5 Year old kid has U.S Passport and his passport is expiring in September .Can he be able to travel back to U.S with his passport expiring in less than 6 months?

2. My wife with Indian passport has her passport expiring in November .Can she be able to travel back to U.S with her passport expiring in less than 6 months from date of travel? Renewing her passport looks challenging with we being in red zone and travel not permitted .

Thanks in advance.

#1) No

#2) No

• 1 month later...
On 5/18/2020 at 8:29 AM, JoeF said:

Wrong on both counts. A US citizen can travel to the US even with an expired passport.

And the 6-month rule doesn't apply for Indian citizens.

I don't expect CISF, if not, airline agents let them pass security check point. Not worth the hassle, general advice is to renew if passport expiration date is less than 6 month prior to travel date.

• 3 years later...
On 5/18/2020 at 9:29 AM, JoeF said:

Wrong on both counts. A US citizen can travel to the US even with an expired passport.

And the 6-month rule doesn't apply for Indian citizens.

Joe! Your response seems very logical. I have similar condition. Do you know anyone who has faced it and have experienced?