Ex-H1B employee is asking for overtime pay after 8 months

9 hours ago, User099 said:

Did you pay him as per the LCA/Employment offer that was given to him? If yes, then you are good. 

As I said, it depends. Labor laws (different in each state) may require employers to pay for overtime for hourly employees. So, it is not just the LCA. Labor laws apply to all employees regardless if they are on H1 or not.

That's why the OP needs to discuss this with a labor lawyer.

Quite frankly, it is strange anyway that an employer tries to get free help from a forum. He has enough money to consult with a lawyer. If he doesn't he has no business running a business.

Edited by JoeF
On 5/14/2020 at 1:05 AM, JoeF said:

As I said, it depends. Labor laws (different in each state) may require employers to pay for overtime for hourly employees. So, it is not just the LCA. Labor laws apply to all employees regardless if they are on H1 or not.

That's why the OP needs to discuss this with a labor lawyer.

Quite frankly, it is strange anyway that an employer tries to get free help from a forum. He has enough money to consult with a lawyer. If he doesn't he has no business running a business.

If people are using answers from a public forum as legal advice then its for thier peril. I know what you are saying and employmnet agreement should encapsulate the laws of the state. That is why I said employment offer that was extended to the empolyee. Atleast my employment offers had a section which defined overtime pay and how much I would get paid for overtime.