Dependent I-94 Expired and applying for extension

Hi,

Please help, my daughter’s (minor – 6yo) I-94 expired in November 2019 (passport expiry) and we are applying for H1B extension this month (May 2020).  

I-94 Date: 10-Nov-19 (Same as Passport expiry date, issued on 25-May-19 by CBP)

I-94 Date on I-797: 25-Jul-20 (H-4 I-97 Issued on 25-Jul-17 by USCIS)

We renewed her passport in November 2019, but did not go outside USA since. Neither applied for any change in I-94 date to CBP or USCIS.

Spoke to CBP, they said only option is to go out of the country and come back, which you cannot do right now since borders are closed. So do it when borders open. Very nice guys; also said, since it is not a mistake cannot make any correction.

Spoke to USCIS, they said that, if this would have been violation you would have received notification from our side. Refused to answer any question. Not a very helpful bunch.

Now I (H1B holder) am applying for extension, including for my daughter’s H-4.

Questions:

1.      Should we ask for forgiveness preemptively, with H1B (& H4) extension application? This is what company lawyer is suggesting.

2.      Or let USCIS call it out?

3.      Should I ask my lawyer to apply for Nunc pro Tunc (now for then)? Is this even an option that applies here?

4.      Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for reply, appreciate everyone's help. 

Edited by AmitL
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 5/3/2020 at 8:26 PM, AmitL said:

Hi,

Please help, my daughter’s (minor – 6yo) I-94 expired in November 2019 (passport expiry) and we are applying for H1B extension this month (May 2020).  

I-94 Date: 10-Nov-19 (Same as Passport expiry date, issued on 25-May-19 by CBP)

I-94 Date on I-797: 25-Jul-20 (H-4 I-97 Issued on 25-Jul-17 by USCIS)

We renewed her passport in November 2019, but did not go outside USA since. Neither applied for any change in I-94 date to CBP or USCIS.

Spoke to CBP, they said only option is to go out of the country and come back, which you cannot do right now since borders are closed. So do it when borders open. Very nice guys; also said, since it is not a mistake cannot make any correction.

Spoke to USCIS, they said that, if this would have been violation you would have received notification from our side. Refused to answer any question. Not a very helpful bunch.

Now I (H1B holder) am applying for extension, including for my daughter’s H-4.

Questions:

1.      Should we ask for forgiveness preemptively, with H1B (& H4) extension application? This is what company lawyer is suggesting.

2.      Or let USCIS call it out?

3.      Should I ask my lawyer to apply for Nunc pro Tunc (now for then)? Is this even an option that applies here?

4.      Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for reply, appreciate everyone's help. 

Amit,

I am facing same situation with my wife I-94 expiry due to passport expiry. Can you please comment how you proceeded with your case. Its been close to 290 days since my wife I94 expired. She has valid stamped H4 visa till May 2020 and also an I797 petition valid till May 2021. 

Please provide more light on your case and how you proceeded on this. This will help me immensely. 

Thank you.