Change of Status from H1B to B2

Hi

My H1B expires May 1st 2020. My employer told me that they will not file for extension and April 30 will be my last working day.

1) Since there is a travel ban due to Covid-19, Can I apply for COS to B2 or will there be any issues with getting B2 approved? My employer mentioned B2 will be rejected because USCIS will think that its my intent to stay in united states to find another Job. Is that true?

2) While I am on B2 pending receipt if I get a job with another employer. Will there be any issues with applying for H1B?

Thanks and Regards

Ashok

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2020 at 8:50 AM, Ashok Uppala said:

Hi

My H1B expires May 1st 2020. My employer told me that they will not file for extension and April 30 will be my last working day.

1) Since there is a travel ban due to Covid-19, Can I apply for COS to B2 or will there be any issues with getting B2 approved? My employer mentioned B2 will be rejected because USCIS will think that its my intent to stay in united states to find another Job. Is that true?

2) While I am on B2 pending receipt if I get a job with another employer. Will there be any issues with applying for H1B?

Thanks and Regards

Ashok

Hi Ashok, have you applied for the B2 visa. I am in a similar condition where I cannot leave the US before my grace period ends and I need to apply for a B2 visa. Thanks