B2 visa extension of stay for parents

pd_2050

Hello,

I need some advise on filing an B2 visa extension of stay for my parents. My parent's arrived in the US in mid of Feb and I-94 is valid till mid of Aug. They have always departed previously from the US before their I-94 expiry date. I have a couple of questions given the current COVID situation. 

1. It is advisable to file an extension now or later (say in May/June) depending on how the situation is resolved and flights back to home country are operational given that current I-539 processing time is around 6-8 months?

2. How many days early can or should I file the B2 extension before I-94 expiry given that current processing time is around 6-8 months?

3. Am I suppose to file the I-539 form separately for my parents or can it be jointly filed?

4. I am currently on H1-B with I-140 approved but my extension is under process and the results are unknown at this point as I cannot upgrade to premium processing. Will my extension process/result affect my parent's extension filing in any shape or form? 

5. Which all documents are required to file the I-539 extension online?

Any guidance is much appreciated. 

Thank you in advance! 

Edited by pd_2050
Forgot to ask a question.

I filed the extension for my mother few weeks back. I was also on H1B extension at that time, when I had filed. 

Ans 1. > USCIS recommends filing for extension atleast 45 days before expiration of I-94. I think its better to wait till June since the I-94 expiration is on Aug. 

Ans. 2.> The visitor can stay on receipt after filing on I-539, even after the I-94 is expired as long as the extension was filed before the I-94 expiry. 

You can file in May 

Ans 3.> Don't know the answer. Please call USCIS. They can help answer this 

Ans 4.> The extension process should not impact the visitor visa extension

Ans 5.> Visitor's passport, Letter from visitor stating reason for extension , letter from you stating you can cover all expenses here for the visitors, visitor's I-94 

I am not a lawyer, and this is only my personal opinions. 

Edited by kutli2004
disclaimer
On 4/15/2020 at 3:30 PM, kutli2004 said:

I filed the extension for my mother few weeks back. I was also on H1B extension at that time, when I had filed. 

Ans 1. > USCIS recommends filing for extension atleast 45 days before expiration of I-94. I think its better to wait till June since the I-94 expiration is on Aug. 

Ans. 2.> The visitor can stay on receipt after filing on I-539, even after the I-94 is expired as long as the extension was filed before the I-94 expiry. 

You can file in May 

Ans 3.> Don't know the answer. Please call USCIS. They can help answer this 

Ans 4.> The extension process should not impact the visitor visa extension

Ans 5.> Visitor's passport, Letter from visitor stating reason for extension , letter from you stating you can cover all expenses here for the visitors, visitor's I-94 

I am not a lawyer, and this is only my personal opinions. 

@kutli2004 Thank you so much for your detailed response. May I ask, if you filed I-539 all by yourself and how were the supported documents sent for the extension petition to USCIS, scanned or in paper hard copies? And in how many days did you receive the extension receipt? 

Thanks once again for your help! 

• 2 months later...

hello, Could you please help with some below questions?

Did you filed B2 extension?

If so did you filed I-539 online or paper application? where do we need to send I-539 paper application (address please)

After how many weeks did you got receipt? Did you get an Biometrics ?

Did you get approval or do we have to live on receipt? 

Sorry for many questions.