Need advice re stamping in Canada

My H1B expires on July 30th 2020. I have an academic appointment. same job for last 9 years.

My last 3 H1B have been stamped in Canada. I have a Canadian visitor visa.

Gurus,

when should I apply for the visa process? any idea when the visa offices open?

when do you think the border opens?

all advice appreciated.

thank you

On 4/9/2020 at 9:04 PM, pappu2003 said:

My H1B expires on July 30th 2020. I have an academic appointment. same job for last 9 years.

My last 3 H1B have been stamped in Canada. I have a Canadian visitor visa.

Gurus,

when should I apply for the visa process? any idea when the visa offices open?

when do you think the border opens?

all advice appreciated.

thank you

You can start process now as getting visa dates might be around 3 to 4 months from now in Canada (even before current visa expires or after your visa stamping in your passport expires)

else you can attend in near by countries too like Mexico, which are available in June as of now

As far as i know, Emergency appointments are allowed in Canada as of now.

Regular appointments can start around June/July as of now (Hopefully COVID might get settled around by that time) for you to attend visa interview

Hi!

It is unclear from your description what is expiring on July 30, 2020 – is it your H1B visa or your H1B Petition. As you may already know, your H1B Petitioner must file an application for H1B extension along with extension of status before the expiry of your current H1B petition (you need to have a valid I-94 for the duration of your stay in the U.S.). This application can be filed up to 6 months in advance from the date of expiry of status. Upon approval of this extension (of H1B with I-94), you can continue to legally stay and work in the U.S. till the validity of the new extension. It is  not mandatory to travel out of the U.S. to apply for a visa. Your legal status in the U.S. is governed by your I-94 and not by the visa on your passport.

If there is a need to travel out of the country, then you will need to apply for a visa at a U.S. Consulate abroad. We are unable provide a definite timeline on when the flights will resume and when consular posts will resume operations,  because this depends on the COVID-19 situation worldwide.