Can we collect payment from Stimulus package on TN

Hi Team,

I am on TN status (Canadian Citizen) and wanted to know if I can apply to get a paycheck from the 2 trillion stimulus package which is in the approval stage right now since I have 2 us citizen kids with wife on TD? 

Will there be any implications if I collect this stimulus package when I am renewing my TN or when I am applying for GC at later stages in life? 

Also If I lose my job on TN status do I have a grace period of 60 days to get a job, and if my I-94 is valid for 1 year from now can I stay in the US for 1 year and search for a job? 

Waiting for your reply,

Thank you in advance.

On 3/27/2020 at 10:14 AM, honeybadger511 said:

Hi Team,

I am on TN status (Canadian Citizen) and wanted to know if I can apply to get a paycheck from the 2 trillion stimulus package which is in the approval stage right now since I have 2 us citizen kids with wife on TD? 

Will there be any implications if I collect this stimulus package when I am renewing my TN or when I am applying for GC at later stages in life? 

Also If I lose my job on TN status do I have a grace period of 60 days to get a job, and if my I-94 is valid for 1 year from now can I stay in the US for 1 year and search for a job? 

Waiting for your reply,

Thank you in advance.

You can get the check if you are a resident alien for tax purposes on your 2019 tax return (which you are if you spent more than half the year in the US), have a Social Security Number (which you do if you work on TN), have AGI less than the limit (it phases out between $75k and $99k; or between $150k to $198k if you file jointly), and cannot be claimed by someone else as a dependent.

If you do not get the check because you do not qualify under the 2019 tax year, you can still get the payment as a tax credit on your 2020 tax return if you qualify under the 2020 tax year.

There are no negative implications.

It is free money. You do not have to pay back the check (even if you qualify for less under the 2020 tax year).

You cannot stay in the US after the grace period. You will be out of status.

Edited by newacct