Coronavirus and impact on premium processing for H1B extension

Hello,

My current H1B will expire in August this year. My employer has agreed to do premium processing for the H1B extension. I would like advice on the following:

1. Should I file for extension now in March? I am concerned that due to the corona virus situation even premium processing will be indefinitely delayed and I will be stuck in the US unable to travel abroad.

2. Should I wait it out and file in June/July when hopefully the coronavirus situation will simmer down? Employer has promised premium processing so I can still get the extension done and approved before August. 

3. My passport has not expired but has only 2 unused pages. Should I apply for an H1B extension with this passport or get a new one? Suppose I get an extension approved and THEN apply for a new passport, and take the new passport for visa stamping in India, will there be a problem? Because then USCIS will only have information about my current passport and not the new one. Will that be a problem?

Thank you so much for taking time to reply.

1. You should apply for extension as soon as you are with in the 6 month window. You never know what tomorrow will be like.

3. No issues if you have 2 pages in passport for extension. You can apply for a new passport and then go for stamping that is fine.

On 3/14/2020 at 10:07 AM, silkroute said:

i'd be grateful if someone were to answer my questions. Thank you

15 hours ago, silkroute said:

I suddenly remember this: will the USCIS give an extension only until the validity of the passport? Mine expires in early 2021.

I don't know where you are from, but some countries allow renewals up to 1 year before the expiry date. So don't wait till the last minute. 

6 hours ago, User099 said:

I don't know where you are from, but some countries allow renewals up to 1 year before the expiry date. So don't wait till the last minute. 

I am from India. Do you think USCIS will give the usual 3 year extension? Thank you for your replies. 

I hope you and your loved ones are safe.

16 hours ago, silkroute said:

I am from India. Do you think USCIS will give the usual 3 year extension? Thank you for your replies. 

I hope you and your loved ones are safe.

Your H1 extension duration will depend on the availability of work your employer can show. If he shows that you have a contract or work for 3 years you will get it. But your Passport expiry will not play any role in it. 

I was talking about passport extension and you can apply for a passport extension 1 year in advance. 

1 hour ago, User099 said:

Your H1 extension duration will depend on the availability of work your employer can show. If he shows that you have a contract or work for 3 years you will get it. But your Passport expiry will not play any role in it. 

I was talking about passport extension and you can apply for a passport extension 1 year in advance. 

Thank you!