My parents have travel plans to go to India by end of March, ( their I-94 will expire by April 1st week). With the current widespread of Corona Virus affecting the elderly. What can I do? Is applying for I-94 extension possible and advisable ?? Is preponing their travel better? What are my options? please help
Someone in the United States in B status can apply for an extension of that status before the I-94 Card expires. Because it is B status, the I539 can only request 6 months. It should state the reason being the pandemic. It is important though to calendar a reminder for when the requested/anticipated 6 month period will end. Even if the I539 is not approved yet because it is still pending, the Applicant should either leave the US no later than the requested end date or file another I539 for an additional extension of 6 months because of the pandemic if that is the reason.
Given that USCIS is still operating but may have reduced staff, preparing for the I539 to still be pending for 6 months is important. USCIS is operated by people who can get infected with COVID-19. This could slow down processing.