B2 Visa Stay Extension - Less than 15 days for i94 valid date

My mom is currently in US with me. She entered US on Sep 24th and has a valid i94 till Mar 23rd. We had initially booked the return travel ticket for March 18th. She is 60 years old. Because of the risk associated with corona virus  infection during travel and her age, we are not sure if its the right time for her to travel  (alone). 

Note : Because its a last minute decision, we are  not able to apply before the needed 45 days of i94 date. Will this affect the decision. 

1.  Is it ok to apply for an extension stating this as the reason. WIll USCIS consider this request.  

2. What happens if we dont get a response before her i94 end date (Mar 23rd)

3. If approved/rejected, will it affect her future return to US?

The only thing I have found is for Visa Waiver Program visitors (i.e., mostly visitors from Western Europe.) That is not specific to COVD-19, but a general rule for VWP (sorry, I can't post the link here.)

Basically, if an emergency prevents a VWP visitor from departing on time, a "period of Satisfactory Departure" may be granted, for up to 30 days. That usually requires a visit to a USCIS office, but with USCIS offices now closed, CBP may adjudicate requests for Satisfactory Departure. Apparently, that's currently only done at the JFK and Newark, New Jersey airports.

In any case, people who reach the end of their I-94 should discuss their situation with a good lawyer.

On 3/13/2020 at 11:08 AM, JoeF said:

COVID-19 is not a valid reason to stay in the US past the I-94 date nor to get an extension.

Many international carriers canceled their flights to USA and India went into lockdown within very limited notice period. Current geopolitical situation is fluid and countries are closing borders. Can this be used to file for extension? Can COVID-19 be used as Special Situation?

Thank you!

You can file for an extension to the B visa even in normal circumstances. You can use the Covid 19 as the reason for applying for an extension. If there are no means to travel, how does USCIS expects you to leave. Do they expect you to jump into the Atlantic ocean and swim to your home country or what...

Its better to apply for an extension and leave once things come back to normal, rather than doing nothing and staying beyond I94 expiry date. 

You all should be glad that Mr. Joe Facts is not the one adjudicating your petitions.