Children studying abroad on Green Card

My family got green card in Aug 2016 and have lived in USA since then. My daughters are planning to join a prestigious college in India this year for 4 year bachelors degree. They plan to visit US within every 6 months, and also have a reentry permit with them. They will spend around 3 months of vacation time in US each year until they get the citizenship. Me and my wife will continue to reside/work in USA. 

I recently talked to a lawyer, and she advised that while the children will meet the eligibility requirements to apply for citizenship next May (after 4 years 9 months), and may not face travel issues as they have reentry permit, they may face difficulty in Citizenship interview (usually scheduled around a year after application) due to their stay abroad for studies. 

Further the lawyer said that parents residing/working in USA will not be considered as a factor for their Citizenship application as they are over 18 years of age.  Is this true? Could study abroad be a criteria for Citizenship rejection?  What are the chances? Can lawyers prepare a case based on their plan to do further studies and Job in US? 

What is the worst case scenario if the Citizenship is rejected. Can they apply again once they join a college in USA for masters?