All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
am0010

non-profit h1b visa work status if transfers done from nonprofit to profit

hi i am amrita,

I have a some question on transferring my H1B from profit to non-profit organization. Requesting your advise.

I am working with an IT Services Organization (Employer A) which is a profit organization who sponsored my current H1B. I got a job offer from an U.S. Public State University (Employer B), internationally recognized research institution which is a non-profit organization.

My questions are-

(1) If I transfer my H1B from profit Organization (A) to non-profit organization (B), and then later, if I want to move to another profit organization, do I require to apply for a new/fresh H1B?

(2) Eventually, Employer B will be applying for immigrant visa - GC (PERM, I-140). What is going to happen to I-140, If I change from non-profit Employer B to another non-profit employer C?

(3) Eventually, Employer B will be applying for immigrant visa - GC (PERM, I-140). What is going to happen to I-140, If I change from non-profit Employer B to another profit employer?

Thanks in advance.

Your first H1 was filed by a for-profit company so now you can move from for-profit to non-profit and then to any other company with no issues. 

Every time you move, new employer will have to file for the GC starting from Perm. If the I140 is approved for more than 180 days, you can port the priority date to new employer.

1. No

2.  You need to be with Employer B for atleast 180 days after your I-140 approval for you to be able to port your priority date to Employer C.

2 hours ago, cyberlord said:

1. No

2.  You need to be with Employer B for atleast 180 days after your I-140 approval for you to be able to port your priority date to Employer C.

If B wants he can keep it active even if OP is not working for him.