Jump to content
All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  

I-94 Extension : Looking for Options to do.

Recommended Posts

Hi All,
My Son is on H4 Visa. Visa is stamped till End of June 2021. But since his passport is expiring on 06/30/2020, 
he got his I-94 till 06/30/2020 only. Now we have applied new passport and got it. 

To extend the I-94, I have visited nearest International airports and requested but they refused to do.

I have asked the CBP officer in airport about going to Canada through Air and return, She said it may not work because you need to stay 
beyond 30 Days. I got confused and called CBP office and they said we can go to Canada and return with new I-94 for my son, 
because his old passport is already invalid, whereas my I-94 will not get any change.

Me and My Son both have valid Canadian Tourist Visa.

Travelling to India or Applying extension are not the options I am looking for now.

Now I am left with the following options.

1. Air travel to Canada- Toronto and return back to Charlotte over a weekend.
2. Road travel to Canada, Cross the Rainbow bridge and return back and request for I-94 extension at POE.
3. Travel to Laredo, Texas and cross the bridge with my son and request for I-94 extension.
4. Travel to any Caribbean country and come back.

I am confused with these options and which one to Select?

Experienced people please guide me.

Thanks in Advance.

Share this post

Link to post

File an extension of his H4 status based on his existing I94.

Alternatively, cross the Canadian Border and return. YOU MUST ASK for a new I94 for the boy. They will direct you to the Office building and ask you to go in. Pay the 12 USD and get a new I94. Tell the Officer very politely that the boy is NOT USING AVR and needs a new I94 due to passport expiry.

Share this post

Link to post

If US Immigration is in TORONTO while returning by AIR, you need to ask the CBP Personnel in TORONTO to give the boy a new I94. After that, the flight will be a local flight back.

Edited by pontevecchio

Share this post

Link to post

Do you know how to File an extension of his H4 status based on his existing I94 ?. Can I do myself or do I need to go my employer/attorney? Since because of Corona Virus spread, Confused to Travel. 

Please help me.



Share this post

Link to post

You can do it yourself. You will have to submit I539 and all supporting documents for the extension.

Copies of both you and your son's:

Valid I94's , Passport, Visa 

Your I797 approval copy

Kid's birth certificate

Share this post

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this