All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
LivingOnE1

Applying with GC about to expire

Hi, 

I've waited a bit too long and just applied for naturalization at the end of January. I am waiting for the receipt. My Green Card expires at the end of March. 

What's going to be the situation with:

- My employer what document(s) can I show to him to continue to legally work?

- International traveling. What happens if I have to travel internationally?

Thanks.

You can renew the GC

Only the GC expires, not the status as Permanent Resident. The I-9 shows what documents can be used to verify employment authorization.

You need a valid GC to come back from travel abroad.

Thank you Joe. Does that mean I cannot travel internationally until I get the GC renewal or the citizenship? 

There must be a way around.

7 hours ago, LivingOnE1 said:

Thank you Joe. Does that mean I cannot travel internationally until I get the GC renewal or the citizenship? 

There must be a way around.

You need a valid GC or a valid US passport (if you are a US citizen) to travel. No workaround.

It is simple to get a GC renewed. Geez.

On 2/12/2020 at 9:53 PM, LivingOnE1 said:

Hi, 

I've waited a bit too long and just applied for naturalization at the end of January. I am waiting for the receipt. My Green Card expires at the end of March. 

What's going to be the situation with:

- My employer what document(s) can I show to him to continue to legally work?

- International traveling. What happens if I have to travel internationally?

Thanks.

1. If you presented a green card when you did your I-9, your employer is not supposed to re-verify it when the card expires. A green card signifies permanent eligibility to work. If they are trying to re-verify, that is wrong and you can complain to the Immigrant and Employee Rights section (because presumably they are not reverifying the passports of citizens when they expire, so this is discrimination).

To answer your question about what to show for I-9, you can also show them an unrestricted Social Security card (a List C document) plus a driver's license (a List B document). Or, if you have got an I-551 stamp from USCIS, you can show the I-551 stamp.

2. Get an I-551 stamp from the local USCIS office. That will be equivalent to a green card and allow you to re-enter the US. They might give you an I-551 stamp because you have a pending N-400 without you having to file I-90, or they might force you to file I-90 first since you applied for naturalization within 6 months of your card expiring. I am not sure which.

Hello

Yes, I had to file a I-90 since my GC is expiring in less than 6 months.

In the application, there was a $455 fee for the form itself, and a $85 fee for biometrics.

Since I had biometrics taken just one week ago for the naturalization application, is there a way to AVOID to have the biometrics taken again (and waste half a day in line)?

Thanks