B2 visa for my mother and father to visit for graduation

Hello,

I would like to invite my parents for my graduation ceremony. My father has two wives. And my mother is his second wife.

While filling up my mothers DS-160. What should I put her marital status as? The options are Married, Common law marriage, civil union/Domestic relationship, single, divorced, legally separated and other. My mother has my fathers name as Spouse in her passport.  If I put any of the this Married, Common law marriage, civil union/Domestic relationship I am required to give my fathers details in family section. And if choose other what should I input in the box. 

This seems a problem as my father's passport has his first wife's name. So while filling up his DS-160 I do not know how to include my mothers name(his Second wife) in his form. There is no any provision for that. Both are funding their own trip on their own and will be attending their interviews separately. 

I am worried that for my mother's interview my father's passport details will be checked and see a different name in spouse in his passport(his first wife's name) and consider it as lies and therefore reject visa based on incorrect information. 

And what should he and she be refereed as in each other's travel companion? As if I put spouse for my father it won't match his passport which has his first wife's name as spouse. 

I am very confused as what to do. And how can I convey the correct information. 

Married or not, any two consenting adults can choose to travel together. I would ask you to let your Dad negotiate the formalities of the DS-160. Why do you think that you need to fill it for them?. If you stay out of it, they may get the visa depending on the pedigree of your college. On the other hand, they are capable of visiting on their own and the word "invite" then becomes an anachronism.

Which country are you talking about?

On 2/5/2020 at 10:18 PM, pontevecchio said:

Married or not, any two consenting adults can choose to travel together. I would ask you to let your Dad negotiate the formalities of the DS-160. Why do you think that you need to fill it for them?. If you stay out of it, they may get the visa depending on the pedigree of your college. On the other hand, they are capable of visiting on their own and the word "invite" then becomes an anachronism.

Which country are you talking about?

Hi thank you for replying. I am from India. I do not understand by "let your dad negotiate the formalities of DS-160". I am filling it for them because they can not read or write in English. 

22 hours ago, cyberlord said:

This is a tricky situation. I'm not sure if the country from where they got married legally OR got their passport issued, recognizes polygamy.

It is not legally recognised in India. Though a good amount of Indians practise it. My doubt is if my mother puts my dad's name as spouse in her DS-160 as it reflects in her passport. Will it be a problem as my fathers passport has his first wife's name. My mother will be attending her interview alone.

5 hours ago, admiralg_o7 said:

It is not legally recognised in India. Though a good amount of Indians practise it. My doubt is if my mother puts my dad's name as spouse in her DS-160 as it reflects in her passport. Will it be a problem as my fathers passport has his first wife's name. My mother will be attending her interview alone.

Your mother has to put dad's name as spouse in DS 160. That is the straight-forward/right way.

Be prepared for any eventualities due to this situation.

This post is about getting a visa and not about bigotry. 

Any Adult can travel with any other Adult to this country.  Ask the Neighbors children to fill up the form for them. Technically they are not husband and Wife even in India. An Adult couple wants to get a visit visa. The modalities are on the Consulate website. 

As an aside to locals,

Parker Douglas of the Utah Attorney General’s Office said Wednesday the law doesn’t change the office’s long-standing policy that they won’t go after law-abiding polygamists.

If the marriage is not legally recognized in India, how did they issue the passport for your mother with a spouse name. Do they have a marriage certificate? From what I know polygamy is allowed in Muslims in India. I am assuming you are a Muslim.

Anyway we are not her to discuss your parents marriage...

I would say you should enter the details as per their marriage certificate or list them as husband and wife in DS 160. Tell the truth to the CO and let them decide what to do. Even if visa is rejected, that is better than getting barred for lying to a CO. One thing to note is that they are applying for B2 and not H4 or L2 for which CO's need to verify that the applicants are legally married.

You might have to check with an attorney (Murthy law firm office in India might be better in your case). 

Edited by User099
Expanded