H-1B visa stamping @ Nuevo Laredo

Hi there!

I went to Nuevo Laredo Consulate last week for H1 stamping.

Day 1: Drove from Dallas to Laredo via San Antonio:

Day 2:  Finger printing Appt.: Went to ASC @ 10 AM to see where the location is from Best western by walk. The ASC personnel said I can come in even though, I have an appointment at 13:00. He said DS 160 confirmation and passport is what is needed. However, when I went for my fingerprinting appointment, I took DS 160 confirmation, old and new passport, fingerprinting and visa appointment confirmation, and I 797 copy to be safe
They only checked DS-160 confirmation and annotated E and FF+F and wrote visa interview appointment time. All together took 5-7 minutes. No purses, backpacks, smart devices, phones allowed. Wallet is okay to take.

Called NLD Freedom Nuevo Laredo Taxi service to ensure he is available to drop at the consulate next day. He does NOT know English much, however, managed by texting in Spanish via Whatsapp. Used Google translate to convert texts from English to Spanish and vice versa.

Charged 6$ each way and the ride takes 2-5 minutes in car.

Day 3:  Interview:

I went to Consulate at 7:20 AM for the appointment at 7:45 AM. I was the first standing in the line for the day. At around 7:35 AM, someone came out and checked to ensure you have DS-160 and it is H-1 renewal. Then went to security screening where they make you remove jacket, belt, wallet, etc. After the screening, you will be routed to the main building and instructed to go all the way to end to enter the main building. There is an additional check on your documents(PP, DS160, I797, etc.) as soon as your enter the main building

You will made to sit on orange chairs and then will be directed to counters 8 or 9 for another round of verification. Some basic questions about you/employer will be asked here. After few minutes you will be asked to go to counter 6 another round(fourth) of verification.  After this verification at counter 6, we were asked to stand in line for the actual interview at counters 3 and 4.

Went to Counter 3(lady officer) and I was the first one for her for that day.

Greeting exchanged

Took PP, DS160, Employer Letter, and I -797

1) Are you so and so(Title)?

2) Are going to be working at location? She said the location name and I replied yes.

3) How long on H1?

4) Do you have approved I-140 pending? 

5) Can I get your I-140 copy?

6) Are you married?

7) why is your wife not here? 

8)Were you on F1 before?

9)Where did you study?

I have master of science from University of ABC. 

10) specialization/major? Computer Engineering?

No, Chemical Engineering

Finally, VO said visa is approved and you can collect today at 3:15 PM(Monday - Thursday)(2:15 PM (Friday). Had a white-color pamphlet and this can be used to enter the building for passport pick in the afternoon. it took about 5-7 mnutes for the interview and I was out by 8:15 AM. 

The cab driver was waiting for me outside and was back in the hotel by 8:20 AM.

Checked out the hotel at 2 PM. Walked to the consulate to pick my passport. They will let you in at 3:15 PM (or 2:15 PM on Friday) after security screening. Checked the visa information and if there are any errors in the visa, they will correct and give it to you. Came to the hotel and filled I-94 online($6) and took print out at Best Western reception desk.  Requested NLD Freedom Nuevo Laredo Taxi service to drop at bridge - 1 ($8 US dollars). Took about 20 minutes to get there, crossed the bridge and went to immigration. I-94 paper form will be given at counter 13 where they take your picture and finger prints. Immigration will be a breeze if you fill everything online and take the fee payment receipt along with you. No questions asked for me... gave my drivers license and passport. I forgot my I-797 and other docs (not passport though) at the immigration counter and somehow remembered while walking to my car. Went back to immigration counter and collected my I-797, DS-160, and other papers.

Misc. Info:

• Parked (16 USD/day) the car at Greyhound bus station and you will be charged per hour($2 USD per hour) and max they charge per day is 16$. They go by number of hours instead of calendar days.
  • Dollars were accepted by Cab drivers, hotels, and local stores. however, you may get less exchange rate. Best Western gave 18.70 peso for a dollar. Pharmacy store gave only 17.5 pesos for 1 USD.
  • There is Starbucks and Dominos across the street. Los Ajos is across the street from ASC.
  • You may have to change Tooltip language at DS 160 confirmation page because I ended up getting the DS 160 confirmation in Spanish and after changing the tooltip I got in English.
  • Did not take any agent service.
  • Need to pay 4 quarters to cross into Mexico side. There are some machine they give you change for dollar bills. While coming back, it is 5 pesos or 30 cents.
  • For cab driver's info, you may google with the name I have listed.
  • All  (1 EVC guy from Austin, 1 family H1 and 2 H4(daughter and wife), another guy) got the passport same day).
  • If driving by car to San Antonio, there will be another check at around mile marker 28 on I-35. This will be more of a casual talk and have visa handy.
  • I overheard the other VO asking applicants about why Nuevo Laredo, do you have plans to go to India, etc.
  • DS-160, Passport, I-797, I-140(if more than 6 years on H1), LCA, Employer letter and client letter(if applicable) is a must.

Good Luck!!!

Disclaimer: This is just my experience and please don't conclude anything from this post without proper research.

Edited by champswc2011
19 hours ago, champswc2011 said:

Hi there!

Day 2:  Finger printing Appt.: Went to ASC @ 10 AM to see where the location is from Best western by walk. The ASC personnel said I can come in even though, I have an appointment at 13:00. He said DS 160 confirmation and passport is what is needed. However, when I went for my fingerprinting appointment, I took DS 160 confirmation, old and new passport, fingerprinting and visa appointment confirmation, and I 797 copy to be safe
They only checked DS-160 confirmation and annotated E and FF+F and wrote visa interview appointment time. All together took 5-7 minutes. No purses, backpacks, smart devices, phones allowed. Wallet is okay to take.

Called NLD Freedom Nuevo Laredo Taxi service to ensure he is available to drop at the consulate next day. He does NOT know English much, however, managed by texting in Spanish via Whatsapp. Used Google translate to convert texts from English to Spanish and vice versa.

I went to Consulate at 7:20 AM for the appointment at 7:45 AM. I was the first standing in the line for the day. At around 7:35 AM, someone came out and checked to ensure you have DS-160 and it is H-1 renewal. Then went to security screening where they make you remove jacket, belt, wallet, etc. After the screening, you will be routed to the main building and instructed to go all the way to end to enter the main building. There is an additional check on your documents(PP, DS160, I797, etc.) as soon as your enter the main building

You will made to sit on orange chairs and then will be directed to counters 8 or 9 for another round of verification. Some basic questions about you/employer will be asked here. After few minutes you will be asked to go to counter 6 another round(fourth) of verification.  After this verification at counter 6, we were asked to stand in line for the actual interview at counters 3 and 4.

Greeting exchanged

2) Are going to be working at location? She said the location name and I replied yes.

3) How long on H1?

6) Are you married?

8)Were you on F1 before?

9)Where did you study?

No, Chemical Engineering

Finally, VO said visa is approved and you can collect today at 3:15 PM(Monday - Thursday)(2:15 PM (Friday). Had a white-color pamphlet and this can be used to enter the building for passport pick in the afternoon. it took about 5-7 mnutes for the interview and I was out by 8:15 AM. 

Checked out the hotel at 2 PM. Walked to the consulate to pick my passport. They will let you in at 3:15 PM (or 2:15 PM on Friday) after security screening. Checked the visa information and if there are any errors in the visa, they will correct and give it to you. Came to the hotel and filled I-94 online($6) and took print out at Best Western reception desk.  Requested NLD Freedom Nuevo Laredo Taxi service to drop at bridge - 1 ($8 US dollars). Took about 20 minutes to get there, crossed the bridge and went to immigration. I-94 paper form will be given at counter 13 where they take your picture and finger prints. Immigration will be a breeze if you fill everything online and take the fee payment receipt along with you. No questions asked for me... gave my drivers license and passport. I forgot my I-797 and other docs (not passport though) at the immigration counter and somehow remembered while walking to my car. Went back to immigration counter and collected my I-797, DS-160, and other papers.

Misc. Info:

• Parked (16 USD/day) the car at Greyhound bus station and you will be charged per hour($2 USD per hour) and max they charge per day is 16$. They go by number of hours instead of calendar days.
  • Dollars were accepted by Cab drivers, hotels, and local stores. however, you may get less exchange rate. Best Western gave 18.70 peso for a dollar. Pharmacy store gave only 17.5 pesos for 1 USD.
  • There is Starbucks and Dominos across the street. Los Ajos is across the street from ASC.
  • You may have to change Tooltip language at DS 160 confirmation page because I ended up getting the DS 160 confirmation in Spanish and after changing the tooltip I got in English.
  • Need to pay 4 quarters to cross into Mexico side. There are some machine they give you change for dollar bills. While coming back, it is 5 pesos or 30 cents.
  • All  (1 EVC guy from Austin, 1 family H1 and 2 H4(daughter and wife), another guy) got the passport same day).
  • If driving by car to San Antonio, there will be another check at around mile marker 28 on I-35. This will be more of a casual talk and have visa handy.
  • I overheard the other VO asking applicants about why Nuevo Laredo, do you have plans to go to India, etc.
  • DS-160, Passport, I-797, I-140(if more than 6 years on H1), LCA, Employer letter and client letter(if applicable) is a must.

Good Luck!!!

Disclaimer: This is just my experience and please don't conclude anything from this post without proper research.

Great thanks for the detailed info.

On 1/29/2020 at 6:25 PM, champswc2011 said:

Hi there!

Greeting exchanged

3) How long on H1?

6) Are you married?

8)Were you on F1 before?

9)Where did you study?

No, Chemical Engineering

Misc. Info:

Good Luck!!!

I work in IT

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Champswc2011,

Great Job ! People gonna bless you for putting out such detailed information. I have scheduled my visa interview in Nuevo Laredo on Feb 20th-21st. My wife (H4) will be accompanying me as well. I have planned almost the same itinerary as yours. I have few questions which I think you might be able to answer. I would appreciate your time and efforts.

Did you book a cab quite ahead of time for border to hotel ? If yes, was it a prepaid service ? How much did they charge from border to hotel.

Is it safe to keep personal belongings (phones, laptops) at hotel room while you are at US Consulate ?

Do you recommend carrying Mexican currency ? And how much ?

Thank You again !

On 2/14/2020 at 10:55 PM, TyreekHill said:

Hi Champswc2011,

Great Job ! People gonna bless you for putting out such detailed information. I have scheduled my visa interview in Nuevo Laredo on Feb 20th-21st. My wife (H4) will be accompanying me as well. I have planned almost the same itinerary as yours. I have few questions which I think you might be able to answer. I would appreciate your time and efforts.

Did you book a cab quite ahead of time for border to hotel ? If yes, was it a prepaid service ? How much did they charge from border to hotel.

Is it safe to keep personal belongings (phones, laptops) at hotel room while you are at US Consulate ?

Thank You again !

Please send me a direct message.

On 2/14/2020 at 10:55 PM, TyreekHill said:

Hi Champswc2011,

Thank You again !

Looks like my detailed message did not make it to the forum.

To answer your questions,

1) Yes you can book the cabbie ahead of time by simply texting in Whatsapp in Spanish. I used Google Translate.

2) Yes, we kept our belongings in hotel and at reception desk when were at Consulate to pick the passport.

3) I did carry 100$ - mostly in 5$ and 1 $ and rest in 10$