L1A and F1

KRRaman

Hi,

I am on L1A with almost 6 years already spent in USA. I am planning to go for Higher studies and hopefully university would approve my admission to a 2 year course. When this happens I would take LWP with my employer. However can I apply for F1? Since my studies would go beyond 7 years max of L1A, will I get two year or beyond extension? I know between H1 and L1 the max period is counted together and conversion from one visa to another does not enable you to stay beyond the max period. 

I also have my I-140 already approved. However adjustment of status (485) is not applied yet due to priority date. What happens to my green card when I move from L1a to F1? Can you please clarify. Really appreciate the response. 

On 1/23/2020 at 11:34 AM, KRRaman said:

Hi,

I am on L1A with almost 6 years already spent in USA. I am planning to go for Higher studies and hopefully university would approve my admission to a 2 year course. When this happens I would take LWP with my employer. However can I apply for F1? Since my studies would go beyond 7 years max of L1A, will I get two year or beyond extension? I know between H1 and L1 the max period is counted together and conversion from one visa to another does not enable you to stay beyond the max period. 

I also have my I-140 already approved. However adjustment of status (485) is not applied yet due to priority date. What happens to my green card when I move from L1a to F1? Can you please clarify. Really appreciate the response.