Dad's second B2 visa rejected (approved for Mom)

Requesting guidance on how to proceed on the below scenario: 

Parents' first B2 visa was approved for 10 years in 2004 and they visited here twice. They stayed less than 6 months during their visits. We applied for their visa renewal in Jan 2019 and Mom's got approved right away with the "interview waiver" and she does not had to go to the consulate.  

Dad's interview waiver was rejected (221g) and was written - "Please bring resume and educational credentials", "You must appear for an interview with consular officer". We put together a Resume for Dad and collected his diploma certificates and school certificates. At the consulate, officer did not ask any questions and rejected it. 

On the DS-160, we said that Dad did not attend college. I am not sure if that could be a reason for asking Resume and educational credentials. I still do not know what was the real rejection reason. 

I would like to apply for his visa again. Would you advise if I should get assistance from a law firm and what steps I can take to make sure that the visa does not get rejected again. Thank you very much!

They should have give your Dad some paper with a reason as to why they rejected the visa. CO can't just reject a visa without giving you a reason.

What did your Dad work as which triggered the question for a resume and educational details?

If you can't figure out why was it rejected and want to reapply, then talk to an attorney so that they can review your fathers case and advice you and him appropriately. 

Thanks for the valuable info, Noah Lott.

Dad was provided with the standard 214b form without any specific details. 

One reason I could think of is that - I am not sure if the DS160 that we filled 10 years back had - "Dad attended college" and this time we had it as "Dad did not attend college". I couldn't find a way retrieve the DS-160 from 10 years ago.

He has a Diploma and does not have a Degree although he attended a college for that Diploma. The resume we prepared had Diploma details and certificates. This could possibly be considered as a "lie", although this was not intentional. 

If this makes sense, What would be the best way to express that this was a mistake and not a lie to the VO during the next interview? Thanks again.

Most of the times the CO will start with some basic questions and which some applicants (especially senior citizens) don't consider that as part of the interview process as they have prepared to answer tougher questions and present documents. When none of that happens they are under the impression that they were not asked any questions. 

I know there is a lot of preparation (months in some cases) that goes into the whole visa interview process and when the actual interview lasts for only 1-2 mins, they tend to think that the CO did not ask them enough questions especially when their visa is rejected. Successful visa interviews also last the same duration. It's just a perspective from the applicant standpoint.