All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
request_for_info

Dad's second B2 visa rejected (approved for Mom)

Requesting guidance on how to proceed on the below scenario: 

Parents' first B2 visa was approved for 10 years in 2004 and they visited here twice. They stayed less than 6 months during their visits. We applied for their visa renewal in Jan 2019 and Mom's got approved right away with the "interview waiver" and she does not had to go to the consulate.  

Dad's interview waiver was rejected (221g) and was written - "Please bring resume and educational credentials", "You must appear for an interview with consular officer". We put together a Resume for Dad and collected his diploma certificates and school certificates. At the consulate, officer did not ask any questions and rejected it. 

On the DS-160, we said that Dad did not attend college. I am not sure if that could be a reason for asking Resume and educational credentials. I still do not know what was the real rejection reason. 

I would like to apply for his visa again. Would you advise if I should get assistance from a law firm and what steps I can take to make sure that the visa does not get rejected again. Thank you very much!

first, the very idea that no questions were asked is ludicrous...no CO just denies an application with an interview...no doubt your dad claimed this nonsense took place, which is patently false...it is tiresome to read these bogus claims that no questions were asked....that does not happen ...period. 

Second, you do not apply for him; he reapplies if he wishes. 

Third, you cannot make sure that his next application will be approved, as there is NOTHING you can do to positively influence the outcome of anyone's interview. 

Fourth, an attorney cannot positively affect the outcome of his interview and in fact, will only make things worse (a CO asks him or herself, 'why is this guy hiring an attorney? To cover up something.'...)

Did not ask any questions....baloney.

They should have give your Dad some paper with a reason as to why they rejected the visa. CO can't just reject a visa without giving you a reason.

What did your Dad work as which triggered the question for a resume and educational details?

If you can't figure out why was it rejected and want to reapply, then talk to an attorney so that they can review your fathers case and advice you and him appropriately. 

As a follow up, how can I be so sure that questions were asked? Because (1) it would violate the ethics of a CO to go against the very oath they took when joining the FS, (2) a CO has to write some notes on denials into the computer data base....what, is the CO going to make up a story? And by doing so, violate those ethics again? Why? What's the upside? 

This is a classic tale of woe spun by no doubt disappointed and unsuccessful visa applicants, designed to cast blame on a CO while pretending to be a hapless victim of injustice.....a CO would not be doing their job if all they did was deny an application without a single question being asked...after all, how can they make a determination of the applicant's bona fides by remaining silent? Makes no sense and does not happen. 

I've interviewed 10's of thousands of applicants, been surrounded by colleagues interviewing thousands, and have never ever witnessed a situation in which a colleague  just denied an application as soon as the applicant stepped to the window...so his version of what allegedly did not happen is far from the truth. 

It seems odd that his renewal was denied...if everything was exactly as you stated regarding their prior visa use, I do not understand why his renewal application would have been denied...credibility is the best asset an applicant can have...and since he has traveled a couple of times and returned, well, that's pretty darn good...

Was your dad of working age when he stayed nearly 6 months each time? If so, what was his alleged occupation?

What job gives a 6 month vacation? (no job)

So it may well be that the CO believed that he was working during his visits....that will be difficult to overcome..no letters will sway the mind of a CO..no promises from you either...that is about the only thing I can think of...

Thanks for the valuable info, Noah Lott.

Dad was provided with the standard 214b form without any specific details. 

One reason I could think of is that - I am not sure if the DS160 that we filled 10 years back had - "Dad attended college" and this time we had it as "Dad did not attend college". I couldn't find a way retrieve the DS-160 from 10 years ago.

He has a Diploma and does not have a Degree although he attended a college for that Diploma. The resume we prepared had Diploma details and certificates. This could possibly be considered as a "lie", although this was not intentional. 

If this makes sense, What would be the best way to express that this was a mistake and not a lie to the VO during the next interview? Thanks again.

Most of the times the CO will start with some basic questions and which some applicants (especially senior citizens) don't consider that as part of the interview process as they have prepared to answer tougher questions and present documents. When none of that happens they are under the impression that they were not asked any questions. 

I know there is a lot of preparation (months in some cases) that goes into the whole visa interview process and when the actual interview lasts for only 1-2 mins, they tend to think that the CO did not ask them enough questions especially when their visa is rejected. Successful visa interviews also last the same duration. It's just a perspective from the applicant standpoint. 

diplomas, college attendance,etc, are meaningless in B2 applications, especially for renewals...something else is amiss...I noticed you dodged my question about your father's age when they visited some time ago and spent 5-6 months in the US twice, I believe)...so what was his 'occupation' back then, what was it the second time they visited and how was it that any company doled out a 5-6 month paid vacation?

That, in my  opinion, is where the the problem(s) is/are...

He got retired in 2002 (prior to the first visa interview) and was in that state there after.

I am just trying to figure out what else could be amiss and I cannot think of anything else!