Got a owi for sleeping in Car in Iowa state

Lack of knowledge slept in car to sober up instead of driving and eventually was knocked on window in morning by cops and arrested for DUI. 

got out on bail next day and have been wondering what’s going to happen eversince. The stress is killing. 

1. Refused to take the chemical testing, don’t know how that negatively affects the case. (I had no idea when they asked me and just like everything else in life, when they said it’s optional and you have the right to not take it, I chose not to.) 

only now realize they can use it as admission of guilt.

2. What’s the usual outcome of a first DUI like such, too worried if I have to see a jail. 

3. What kind of attorney to hire- criminal defense attorney asking ~2k and the attorney criminal defense +immigration asking 4.5k 

4. does a serious misdemeanor which is my case, a cause for deportation? 

Just in a bad spot and looking for friends who can help. some mOre situation information and anyone who has been here before can be most valuable support right now. 

thanks in advance. Never drink and be near a car with keys.

Was it in Iowa city, IA?

1. Not sure about 1.

2. you most probably won't see jai at all. Your defense lawyer will probably tell you you wont even have to go to court and he can take care of it and downgrade it to reckless driving or such.....he/she will tell you to plead guilty to a lesser offense. Usually lawyers make deals with state prosecutors that their clients will plead guilty for a lesser offense.

***In my opinion, try not to plead guilty at the outset and see if you can get a diversion program or something that would NOT be admission of guilt for immigration purposes.

3. Best to get a crimigation (criminal + immigration) attorney and you will shell out a total of about 5k.

3. You will NOT get deported or be inadmissable if this is your ONLY offense.

Hope this helps, you can message me if you have more questions.

You'll be ok!

The outcome of a first DUI is heavily dependent on the State involved and the BAC.

A DUI arrest has been aptly described as the Ten Thousand Dollar ride home.

You need a Good DUI Lawyer and you need a Good Immigration Lawyer who will talk to each other to minimize damage.

What exactly do you mean by "refusing Chemical test"?. Did they use the Breathanalyzer on you?

Which state are you talking about?

Do not involve a cheap lawyer and shred all the innumerable letters you will get from DUI Lawyers. Get a good DUI Lawyer based on perusing the lawyer website. Get a known Immigration firm on your side. 

Edited by pontevecchio