N 400 for my 16 years old Son

Amstel

Hello Friends,

Happy New year!

Me, my wife and my 16 year old Son are on Green card and now eligible for Citizenship. I am not sure, if I require to Fill N400 for my 16 year old as Somewhere in guideline I read that one has to be 18 years of age to apply. How should I go about the citizenship of my son. Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

thank you

Someone under 18 cannot file N-400. If either you or your wife becomes a US citizen (i.e. takes the oath) before your son's 18th birthday, he automatically and involuntarily becomes a US citizen under INA 320 as a permanent resident under 18 living in the US with a US citizen parent. No action is necessary from you or your son for him to become a citizen this way; it is automatic by operation of law. In that case, he can just apply for a US passport as proof of citizenship. (He can also file N-600 for a Certificate of Citizenship, but that is very expensive and not legally necessary; he is already a citizen.)

If neither you nor your wife takes the oath by his 18th birthday, then he can file N-400 for himself as soon as he turns 18.

Edited by newacct