Automatic Visa revalidation for F-1 OPT

rkabir

Can I re-enter the USA using AVR with expired Visa and 1.5 months of valid OPT?

My US visa expired, and my OPT is valid until February 2020
Enrolling into the new school from January and sevis transfer date is January 1, 2020. Employment termination date Dec 31, 2019

So planning to visit Canada from Dec 21 and re-enter the USA on Dec 26. I am really tensed about it

Situation may have changed in last few years. When I was in same boat many years ago, reentering with F-1 OPT was a risky task. The clear reason was the reason for returning to US if you completed your degree, regardless how long the OPT is remaining. If you have job or offer, it became slightly easier as you would have something to look forward to maintain or change status. One thing clear is that they will ask your purpose to return and what you are going to do in remaining time.

4 hours ago, care_candidate said:

Situation may have changed in last few years. When I was in same boat many years ago, reentering with F-1 OPT was a risky task. The clear reason was the reason for returning to US if you completed your degree, regardless how long the OPT is remaining. If you have job or offer, it became slightly easier as you would have something to look forward to maintain or change status. One thing clear is that they will ask your purpose to return and what you are going to do in remaining time.

I am ready to answer any questions. All I need is to get in. Technically I am eligible to use AVR process but I am just worried that they will see in their system that on Jan 1st, my SEVIS transfer is scheduled to be released.