H1B cap - previously had an H1B, returned to my home country, and then got a new job offer in the US

PlQandA

Hi, 

I was issued a H1B in 2007. I worked on H1B, in U.S., from Oct, 2007 - Dec, 2010 and have been out of the U.S since Dec, 2010. Now, in 2019, can I file a cap-exempt petition to reclaim unused time? Or, do I have to file a fresh H1B petition under quota (subjected to cap) in 2020?

My Qualification: I hold a master's degree from U.S. university.

Thanks in advance,

PL

Edited by PlQandA
Fine tuning the content

Hi There,

Similar to above case. 

I was issued a H1B in 2014. I worked on H1B, in U.S., from March, 2015 - March 2016 and then returned to home country after that. I have been out of the U.S since then. Initially it was stamped for 3 years and the stamping got expired on 2017 September. Can I file a cap-exempt petition to reclaim unused time via a new employer? If yes, how long I can wait before applying for cap-exempt. I would like to know if there is any lapsing period for an H1B stamped in 2015.

Thanks in advance,
raj_m

• 4 months later...
On 12/20/2019 at 1:43 AM, raj_km said:

Hi There,

Similar to above case. 

I was issued a H1B in 2014. I worked on H1B, in U.S., from March, 2015 - March 2016 and then returned to home country after that. I have been out of the U.S since then. Initially it was stamped for 3 years and the stamping got expired on 2017 September. Can I file a cap-exempt petition to reclaim unused time via a new employer? If yes, how long I can wait before applying for cap-exempt. I would like to know if there is any lapsing period for an H1B stamped in 2015.

Thanks in advance,
raj_m

You can file under cap exempt anytime, there is no lapsing period or waiting period to use the remaining H1 duration.