Received a 221G for H1B visa stamping at US Embassy in Ottawa, Canada

Hello Everyone,

I went to Ottawa Embassy on Tuesday (12/10/2019) for my H1B Visa Interview. Visa Officer took my passport and gave me a 221G blue slip. Later in that day, I also received an Supplemental Questionnaire from Embassy asking me for my last 15 years of detailed information. 

There's been no update on my case status. It's been a week, I am staying in Canada and cannot travel back to my home country (India) as Visa Officer took my passport. 

How long does it generally take for the case to get approved in scenario where 15 years of past information is requested by US Embassy?

Please advice.

Note:

1) I-140 already Approved, this is my 3rd term of H1B.

2) I am a full time employee (No Client/Vendor).

3) I am in Canada on a visit visa.

On 12/14/2019 at 4:12 PM, H1BUser124 said:

Hello Everyone,

I went to Ottawa Embassy on Tuesday (12/10/2019) for my H1B Visa Interview. Visa Officer took my passport and gave me a 221G blue slip. Later in that day, I also received an Supplemental Questionnaire from Embassy asking me for my last 15 years of detailed information. 

There's been no update on my case status. It's been a week, I am staying in Canada and cannot travel back to my home country (India) as Visa Officer took my passport. 

How long does it generally take for the case to get approved in scenario where 15 years of past information is requested by US Embassy?

Please advice.

Note:

1) I-140 already Approved, this is my 3rd term of H1B.

2) I am a full time employee (No Client/Vendor).

3) I am in Canada on a visit visa.

You can request passport and travel back to home country. You would be getting an email from US Embassy in Canada asking for your passport in case your visa is approved. Then you can come back and submit it.

On 12/17/2019 at 2:20 PM, shekar11# said:

You can request passport and travel back to home country. You would be getting an email from US Embassy in Canada asking for your passport in case your visa is approved. Then you can come back and submit it.

Thanks for the reply. 

Would it be OK if I request the embassy to return my passport so that I can travel back to India and wait there while the Administrative processing continues or would this delay the processing even further?

Approximately how long would the Embassy take to return my passport upon my request?

Edited by H1BUser124
8 hours ago, Balaji Sag said:

I am sorry to hear this on your H1B case. Was this specific to you or even they asked the same for people in front  of you in the line. Is this your first stamping at Ottawa Canada.

Hope your company immigration lawyers gave you the required documents. May be having your previous H1B approval in place might help.

There was one person ahead of me for H1B stamping, his visa was approved. 

This is my 2nd stamping in Ottawa Canada. I did get a 221g last time as well.

Would it be OK if I request the embassy to return my passport so that I can travel back to India and wait there while the Administrative processing continues or would this delay the processing even further? --- this is normal. No delay in processing but it will take more time to get visa stamped. They will ask you to send passport then you need to travel back and give them passport. This is worth if it is taking too long.

Approximately how long would the Embassy take to return my passport upon my request? -- once they decide to issue visa they will ask for passport and it will take 1 to 2 business days to get passport back with visa.

My advise stay for 30 business days and if taking more ask passport go to India and come back,

I hope by that time your case is resolved positively...

• 2 weeks later...