All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ArjunReddy9

Overstay on Visitor visa due to green card processing

Hi,

We are applying for green card for our mom and we got I-130 approved and applied for I-485 but the packet was returned stating not in good condition (It was all damaged, not sure how). Now, it has been 11 months since our mom came to the U.S which is 5 months more than the regular 6 months. The I-130 approval came to us couple of months back only. I am hearing our mom is considered overstay now. Is that the case and do we have to file for I601A form? Is that the only option we have? Our mom is still in the U.S. What are the chances for it to be approved. Has anyone got it approved before? How do we proceed? We are trying to get professional consultation as well but wanted to see what folks had to say as well.

Thanks

No. Your mom remains eligible for Adjustment of Status. She can just file I-485 again. She is in the Immediate Relative category (spouse, parent, or unmarried under-21 child of US citizen) and does not need to be in status to be eligible for Adjustment of Status.

According to what he wrote, they did not..as mom had stayed about 8+ months before the AOS was filed...this sort of thing is what makes it more difficult for people to get B2 visas even for parents, as this sort of disrespect for our laws, the period of admission, what was told to the COs, etc,...the 'mind changes' is something that many COs track (I did) and all this sort of thing does is raise the bar for qualification for a B2 even higher. If stories and excuses cannot be believed, then why should a CO believe almost anyone? As you can see, documents mean absolutely nothing, as does any bank account, apartment, car, or favorite pet.