Can we do PhD in university while working on H1B for another private company employer?

rajhyd1

Hi,

I have a question, Suppose I have a job on H1B (some private company employer) which is remote/work from home, and i would like to do PhD in some university. Can I do PhD while keep working on remote H1B job? I can manage time and I can able to handle the work, but i am talking only about legality, whether it is legal/feasible to work on H1B as well as do PhD. Can I still receive Tuition waiver and graduate assistant funding from university? Because I heard that while someone is on H1B from a private company employer, he cannot receive GA/funding/Scholarship/tuition waiver from university, Is this true? I want to know whether it is possible in terms of legality if someone can do H1B job as well as do PhD without compromising on any of GA/funding/Scholarship/tuition waiver and receive same benefits as a regular student who do PhD on F-1 visa status without any job?

Please suggest...waiting for reply from someone.

A PhD requires you to do research 24/7, so it is not possible to do a PhD and work fulltime. You can think you can manage time, but the day only has 24 hours...

You'd fail both the PhD and the job, and would lose both.

Further, you couldn't get research funding, because that would be a work relationship with the university, which is only  possible on F1. Also, PhD programs usually require some quarters as TA, which also would not be possible without work authorization for the university, which an F1 provides.

The bottom line: Not possible.

OP, you can study and work on H1b no problem. Its upto you how you would manage time. GA funding, etc is a separate topic that depends on your school. To be a GA, many times you would need to be at school during business hours but these questions would most likely be answered by your school and/or the professor you would be working under.

On 11/11/2019 at 7:43 AM, JoeF said:

A PhD requires you to do research 24/7, so it is not possible to do a PhD and work fulltime. You can think you can manage time, but the day only has 24 hours...

You'd fail both the PhD and the job, and would lose both.

Further, you couldn't get research funding, because that would be a work relationship with the university, which is only  possible on F1. Also, PhD programs usually require some quarters as TA, which also would not be possible without work authorization for the university, which an F1 provides.

The bottom line: Not possible.

That is a highly misleading information. A PhD does not REQUIRE you to research 24/7. I have no idea where you get your information from. I know 2 different people who got their PhD while also working a full time job. I also know of people who are full time Phd students. 

Now please dont clutter this thread more by saying, the people i know are doing it from fake universities and also please dont clutter with false information.

1 hour ago, jobfed said:

OP, you can study and work on H1b no problem. Its upto you how you would manage time. GA funding, etc is a separate topic that depends on your school. To be a GA, many times you would need to be at school during business hours but these questions would most likely be answered by your school and/or the professor you would be working under.

That is a highly misleading information. A PhD does not REQUIRE you to research 24/7. I have no idea where you get your information from. I know 2 different people who got their PhD while also working a full time job. I also know of people who are full time Phd students. 

Now please dont clutter this thread more by saying, the people i know are doing it from fake universities and also please dont clutter with false information.

I get my information from having done it...

It is time wise pretty much impossible to get a PhD from a decent university and work full time at the same time.I was at the University of California, a top public university.

And research is on your mind 24/7, in particular when you are writing papers, doing surveys, etc.

As far as funding, that is not possible to get on H1. The funding is done as part of employment, and universities don't sponsor H1s for graduate students. Graduate students can get it as part of the allowed on-campus employment on F1.

Please educate yourself about these things before mouthing off.

Edited by JoeF