H4 renewal pending need to travel to India

Hello,

My H1 (I797)  is approved and my wife and son's H4 is with status "Fingerprint Review Was Completed". We have our current stamped VISA till second week of Jan 2020. 

Now we got a situation where we have to travel India during the third week of Jan 2020, which means i will have approved I-797 and my dependents will have I539 receipt.

Here are my questions in case H4 approvals are delayed which seems likely based on current processing times:

1. Can my dependents attend VISA consular appointment and get their VISA stamped without their H4 approvals? In general we are qualified for dropbox as we had counselor appointment during 2019, does this hold good with my dependent's situation?

2. During DS-160 application for my dependent do I need to mention their receipt number in the place of approval document#?

3. Does my wife's H4 EAD which is currently under processing along with H4 will have any impact due to this travel?

Your help will be much appreciated in clarifying these queries.

Thank you,

Revanth 

On 11/6/2019 at 11:50 AM, Revanth Gopu said:

Hello,

My H1 (I797)  is approved and my wife and son's H4 is with status "Fingerprint Review Was Completed". We have our current stamped VISA till second week of Jan 2020. 

Now we got a situation where we have to travel India during the third week of Jan 2020, which means i will have approved I-797 and my dependents will have I539 receipt.

Here are my questions in case H4 approvals are delayed which seems likely based on current processing times:

1. Can my dependents attend VISA consular appointment and get their VISA stamped without their H4 approvals? In general we are qualified for dropbox as we had counselor appointment during 2019, does this hold good with my dependent's situation?

2. During DS-160 application for my dependent do I need to mention their receipt number in the place of approval document#?

3. Does my wife's H4 EAD which is currently under processing along with H4 will have any impact due to this travel?

Your help will be much appreciated in clarifying these queries.

Thank you,

Revanth 

1. Yes. H-4 just need primary H-1 petition details in DS-160. Yes drop box will hold good for all of you.

2. You never mention your dependents H-4 receipt numbers anywhere in DS-160. It will always be primary H-1 details.

3. No impact. That will continue as normal.

My H1B extension approved till 2022. But H4 petition approved till April 2020. I contacted USCIS and raised a service request for updating H4 expiry date. My wife need to travel to India soon. Will there be any issue in travel? Is this H4 document required for stamping via Dropbox. 

Edited by jobin